The Kitikmeot Inuit Association is a birthright development corporation representing and benefiting the Kitikmeot Inuit of Nunavut. Our mandate is "To represent the interests of Kitikmeot Inuit by protecting and promoting our social, cultural, political, environmental and economic well-being".
We protect and manage 20% of surface lands in the Kitikmeot region for the economic and social benefit of our people. Through careful management of the land and resources in our trust we can promote sustainable development and bring significant benefits to the Kitikmeot Inuit while protecting our wildlife and environment for many generations to come.
The Kitikmeot Corporation (KC) and the Kitikmeot Economic Development Commission (KDEC) have been delegated by the Kitikmeot Inuit Association to promote economic development, employment and training in the region. There is significant potential for development in the resource rich Kitikmeot and we can expect a period of dynamic growth over the next few years.
Our goals for the Kitikmeot Inuit and our region are:
- To have a strong sense of pride and identity based on traditional values
- To promote sustainable development benefitting our people
- To promote employment and entrepreneurship
- To promote and develop all levels of education and training
- To promote spoken and written Inukitut and Innuinaktun